Friday, July 15, 2011

Bannerific! Tutorial by Jenny!!

Banners are all the rage right now! You can see them everywhere from altered projects to cards and layouts. I have seen birthday banners all my life, but whoever decided to shrink them down and fit them on a scrapbook page is genius! :) I LOVE the look of banners. They add such a whimsical and fun feel to a layout.

Premade banners are super fun and so easy to use on your pages…but did you know that making your very OWN banners is just as easy? It’s true! Plus, it helps use up scraps of paper, and I know we all have plenty of that! ;)

Banners can be made with shapes other than triangles, too. Simply use your favorite small punch on your next banner and see how easy it is to create a unique, custom-made, one-of-a-kind banner on your next project!

For the page below, I used my heart punch to create the heart shapes for my banner and then created my own "flag" shapes:


The flag shapes are super easy! Just follow these instructions:

1. Use your paper trimmer to cut strips of paper, any width and length you choose:


2. Fold each strip of paper in half:


3. Hold the paper folded in half and simply cut out a “V” shape at the bottom (don’t cut the folded end, but the open ends):



4. Here is what your strips of papers will look like after you have cut out the "V's":


5. Open up the folded papers and drape each piece of paper over thread, ribbon, or twine, using the folded edge to “hang” on the thread. (Note: No thread, twine, or ribbon? No problem! Just adhere your banner pieces the way you want them, and then use a pen to draw a line above them to connect them):




6. Use a small glue dot or liquid adhesive to adhere the “V” shape back together:


9. Continue adding your flag shapes and punched hearts until your banner is complete!

You can alternate your “V” cut papers with punched shapes to make a truly unique banner, and then add bling or brads randomly between the shapes like I did below:


On the other example below, I used the same technique but made only the "flag" shapes for my banner, varying the widths and lengths of each flag piece:



Punched circles folded in half also make adorable scalloped banner shapes!

So, there you have it. Easy peasy, right? I can’t wait to see the banners you will create!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Jenny. Banners were kinda scary to me, and now I feel a little better! I might even try one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial Jenny! I need to make more banners...I like the "v shape" of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny - your banners are fantastic. I love the step by step instructions

    ReplyDelete