Thursday, July 10, 2014

Off-Topic with Tammy: FRIED RICE!

Hey All! I've got another family favorite recipe to share with you today - FRIED RICE! I just discovered this recipe last year, and I find myself pulling it out quite frequently to feed the crew. I usually add shredded pork, but it would be equally delicious with any leftover meat, like chicken or steak - or just by itself. My favorite thing about this recipe though, is that it is best made with leftover rice, so every time I make rice in my rice cooker, I always make an extra 3-4 cups and make Fried Rice with the leftovers the next day. My boys love it! It's also easy enough that your kids can make it - even your kids who have been uninterested in learning how to do much for themselves in the kitchen beyond pb&j sandwich-making.

This photo was actually taken by oldest son, who since he started living on his own has started to get tired of frozen pizza and was open to learning a few easy dinnertime dishes he could make himself. I recently taught him how to use a crock pot and rice cooker to create some quick and tasty meals. He sent me this photo last week. If he can do it, your kids can too!

FRIED RICE:
3 cups cooked white rice (day old or leftover rice works best)
1 cup frozen peas & carrots (thawed)
1 small onion, chopped
2 t. minced garlic
3 T. sesame oil (MUST be sesame oil to get the right flavor)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the peas/carrots, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender. Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to the side, then pour your eggs on the other side and stir fry until scrambled. Now, add the rice and soy sauce and blend altogether. Stir fry until thoroughly heated.
(NOTE: To be honest here, I never thaw my frozen peas/carrots. I just throw them in the oil frozen and cook them a little longer. And, I often times, instead of chopping up a fresh onion, I just throw a handful of frozen onions in the pan as well. It's just quicker and easier... Furthermore, if I don't have the peas/carrots mix, then I'll use whatever smallish veggies I happen to have on hand - frozen corn or any mix - this recipe always turns out delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment