Thursday, March 19, 2009

Are you thinking VACATION yet???

It was colder than spring in my neck of the woods today but we've had some super sunny teaser weather these past few days that I can't help but spring ahead. Way ahead. As in, V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N.

Now, I'm usually trigger happy when it comes to picture taking. But in the last four weeks -- that's how long I've come out of SAHMhood and into a full time job -- I have not taken a single shot. Zilch, zero, nada. My precious digital SLR, not a cheap camera, I may add, has sat lonely in its case for almost a month. Can you believe that? Not a good thing for a scrapper. So to get myself out of this rut, and in line with my vacation dreaming mode, I've been looking up tips on getting the best pictures once I'm there on vacation land far far away. Here's my list so far:

Sign, sign, everywhere, sign.
Take pictures of street names and road signs. The hotel room plate number, to remind your of where you stayed. If you're driving, take pictures of interesting trucks and bumper stickers. Out on the beach, write in the sand the name of the beach. Look for interesting landmarks, which sometimes are right under your feet.

La Cuisine
Food captures cultural flare. Take snapshots of the meals BEFORE you eat them. Take a picture of the restaurants you visit, the outside structure plus zoom in on the restaurant name itself. And to capture the ambiance within, lose the flash. Don't forget the kids licking their ice cream, you and hubby sipping from the same drink.

Show me the money!
I like to take pictures of the menu (ask if they'll let you keep one) and Today's Special signs. I like to keep receipts too, to look back years later of how much things used to cost.

Get some sun.
Take before and after shots of your tan lines. Get up early one day and wait for the sun to come up, camera ready. Or if you're a night owl like me, wait for the sunset. They say you really should watch the sun set at least once a year.

Get Up Close and Personal.
Don't forget to zoom in on those sea shells on the sea shore. Walk around the beach and take pictures of others' sandcastle creations (ask permission first).

Don't forget you.
Many times, I don't like to pose within the scenery shot because I want to remember the place itself, but it is nice to prove that I really was there. So here and there, I will plant myself in the shot. Often though, it's all about my kids so as long they're in the pictures, that's often proof enough for me.

But don't be self-centered.
It doesn't have to be all about you. You don't have to have your face (or your family's) in every shot. Take a picture of that artist painting the lighthouse. The locals selling at the flea market. Of course, I highly recommend asking permission first.

Lastly, here's a one-stop website I really enjoyed reading through: Best Family Photography Tips. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to use some of these when we go to the a lodge at the lake this weekend!

    ReplyDelete