Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Re-Examining Your Creative Process: Making the Most of Your Patterned Paper - Day 1 (Instructions Included)

From Brenda Carpenter:

1. Create a Patchwork Design.  A fun way to combine patterns is to create a patchwork design.  It is a good way to use lots of patterns from coordinating papers - or mix it up and use different patterns and colors together.  Leaving one square empty allows the perfect space to place an embellishment or even the layout title or journaling.  In this look, the papers together really make a big impact by using a small amount from each individual paper.  This is also a good way to use up scraps or leftovers from other layouts.
Brenda's Original Instruction

Below are my lift and adapted instructions to create the layout with AMERICAN CRAFTS DEAR LIZZY FINE & DANDY.

  
  • Brenda's photo was 5 x 6.5 inches.  I used a 4 x 6 photograph.
  • Start with white cardstock as your base.
  • Trim Blush (AC) cardstock from add-on kit to 10 x 10 inches and adhere to page.  I cut photo corners with the scraps to add to my photograph, and a clip for the top of the layout.
  • Trim patterned papers from the Patterned Paper Kit into 2 - 3 inch squares for each pattern, (mine are 3").  I, also, stitched mine for added cuteness and dimension. One side was used from Oh Joy. Both sides were used from Love Fest.
  • Cut or punch a decorative edge to highlight or ground photo.  I wanted to bring out the red to stand out from the pink with my mom and boy page and used Elated from the Main Kit.
  • Brenda's original used a 3 inch cardstock circle to create her title.  I used a piece from my Ephemera that fit my photograph and added a punched scalloped border in red cardstock.  Be creative with your theme/topic and Ephemera combination to select a story with your words or title.
  • I used two Thickers from my Embellishment kit, matted them and created a visual triangle of embellishments for this page.  Brenda had used a TSR stamp to journal a bit onto cardstock as one of the embellishments.  There are several stamps still in the TSR store that would work nicely. A few ($3 stamp) possibilities are:
 
  • Brenda added a punched piece from one of her papers to accent her title circle.  This did not fit my adaptation.
  • Add Ephemera, punched or cut accents, brads, gems, ink and hand stitching if desired.  Although my red stitches don't quite look like grass, they still ground my Ephemera flamingo.  I punched the flowers and drew the stems.          
Most importantly, adapt the instructions to make your page your own and have fun with it.





No comments:

Post a Comment